Bad Moon Rising

Bad Moon Rising

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Book Review - Bound BY Flames by Jeaniene Frost




So, where do I begin. Oh my gawd! As always Jeaniene Frost never fails to amaze me. I'm a big fan of her Night Huntress Series and when I knew there was a spin off, of course I had to get it and god am I glad I did.

The synopsis of the book:-


Play with fire, pay the price.


Leila’s years on the carnie circuit were certainly an education. What she didn’t learn: how to be a vampire, or how to be married to the most famous vampire of them all. Adjusting to both has Leila teetering on a knife edge between passion and peril, and now the real danger is about to begin…

Vlad must battle with a centuries-old enemy whose reach stretches across continents and whose strength equals his own. It isn’t like Vlad to feel fear, but he does…for Leila, because his enemy knows she is Vlad’s greatest weakness. As friend and foe alike align against him—and his overprotectiveness drives Leila away—Vlad’s love for his new bride could be the very thing that dooms them both…



My take on the book:-

Vlad

So, Vlad isn't your everyday vampire. He has his issues with his over protectiveness for people he loves. In this case, of course it's Leila. The way he protects her was just raw, of course at some point you just feel like giving him a tight slap in the face but when you see where he is coming from, somehow that over protectiveness becomes sweet!  

"You aren't just my weakness, Leila...you are my destruction, because if I were to lose you, it would finish me."
We saw a glimpse of the women in Vlad's life before Leila and turns out Leila was quite the catch for him. Read the book and you'll know what I'm talking about. It was a big revelation and it was kind of heart wrenching to know that Vlad never really loved until Leila. 

            “Before the wedding, I made sure that I could perform as required,” he went on, no emotion in his tone now.  It took several unsuccessful visits with whores who knew better than to repeat my difficulties before I could get through the act in its entirety.  Then I married Clara and rushed through my husbandly responsibilities with as little contact as possible. I was relieved when she became pregnant because that meant I could finally stop..."


Leila

Now, Leila on the other hand is, I would say independent, confident, sometimes questions herself but she is madly in love with Vlad. However, Vlad distances himself from her because he feels that something bad always happens to the people he loves. You can see his emotions burn when Leila gets kidnapped. This scene was quite traumatic and she handled it very well. There were issues between Leila, her Father and her sister. Her character developed through these issues with her father and the way she handled Vlad over protectiveness. 

Cameo

Well, Cat and Bones make a cameo in this book. And as always, they never seize to help their friends who are in need (even though Cat and Vlad don't get along so much) - If you have read the Night Huntress series, you'd know what I'm talking about. 

Mencheres also makes a cameo, the Egyptian vampire was the MAN!!   


Favorite Quote from the book:- 

            “Yes.  I trusted you with my life, Leila, and there is only one other person in this world of whom that statement is true.”


Conclusion

Fantastic book with loads of romance and action. One of my top reads and it is very well written by Jeaniene Frost. This book kept me going, I couldn't put it down. We would be expecting a new villain in the next book. Somehow, I'm expecting this new villain (a villain whom I shall not name) to be more ruthless than the villain in this book (I can't spell his name) haha! Spell casting necromancer was quite an addition to the book, I must say.

Can't wait for the next book in the series!

Happy reading peeps!!



No comments:

Post a Comment